A Conversation with Paul Adams – Episode 18
In this episode we revisit an interview I had with Paul Adams, Host of Sound Financial Bites. We cover questions from my book, Create New Futures. Here are some of the key points we discussed during my interview:
Key Learning Points:
- “Your future and present can update your past.” Reclaim your power—the power to choose, to be self-directed, and to defy the crippling mindset that says what happened to you yesterday defines who you are today. Instead, why not embrace this reframed perspective: your today can redefine your yesterday?
- Do you allow crisis to define your future, or do you choose to create a future that redefines and transcends your challenging experiences?
- What can we learn from Pope John Paul II’s formative experience as a young man in an underground theater during World War II that shaped his later role in life?
- “Instead of thinking that today is the product of yesterday, think of today as the beginning of tomorrow.” This mental model proposes that what appears to be a setback can become the setup for new beginnings that lead to your next breakthrough.
- How can parents foster the can-do mindset with their children? By creating a dual memory: one of the incidence of success and the other of the experience of overcoming the challenge that enabled the success.
- Why and how did Aviv reframe a devastating loss in the Air Force into a teachable story?
- What is the deeper meaning of integrity? How does Aviv use a story to reinvigorate the essence of integrity?
- “A complaint is the misdirected energy of an unaddressed or unmet need.”
- Because many of us internalize and personalize complaints, our natural reaction is defensiveness. A healthy alternative is to understand and help the other person become part of the solution by converting the complaint into a concrete request that will help us address the unmet need.
Now it’s your turn. As a leader, you are a transformation agent. How will you apply these ideas to create transformative focus today?
Enjoying the Show?
- Please comment below.
- Share the podcast using the social links below.
- Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE TODAY and leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes.