Gratitude and Learning with Suzanne Bates – Episode 55
“Executive presence is demonstrated in the qualities of a leader that engage, align, inspire, and move people to act.”
Suzanne Bates is the CEO of Bates, a firm founded with a mission to help leaders influence the world. Suzanne and her team assist global companies by bringing differentiated experience to leadership development and providing groundbreaking strategies to help leaders make an impact. She is a five-time best-selling author with works that include Speak Like a CEO, Motivate Like a CEO, Discover Your CEO Brand, and All the Leader You Can Be. Prior to launching her consulting firm, Suzanne led a successful career as a television journalist. Her years as an on-air personality with major market television stations put her at the center of major news stories and afforded her the opportunity to interview thousands of political leaders, CEOs, businesspeople, authors and celebrities. As an expert in business and leadership, Suzanne has grown her entrepreneurial portfolio to include consulting, writing, coaching and public speaking. She is insightful, witty, and possesses a practical approach in all of her business ventures.
In this episode, Suzanne and Aviv talk about Suzanne’s background in journalism, business, and leadership. As a journalist for twenty years prior to branching out as an entrepreneur, Suzanne identifies the key transferable skills that aided in her business success. As a leadership consultant, Suzanne shares how she works with clients to help them develop executive presence. She defines executive presence as the behaviors and qualities of leaders that engage, align, inspire and move people to act. When you engage others and provide them the opportunity and the reason to give more of themselves, you fortify them with meaning and purpose. Suzanne and Aviv also talk about the importance of maintaining focus in order to be a truly impactful leader. It is vital for leaders to know when to effectively delegate, when to delete, and when to delay. Finally, Suzanne discusses the value she places on cultivating and practicing gratitude. By celebrating and appreciating the small victories, Suzanne is better able to accomplish the bigger moments of success. These include overcoming challenge and exploring for new learnings beyond what you already know.
Essential Learning Points:
- [00:54] – Introducing today’s guest, Suzanne Bates
- [03:37] – Reflecting on this past year, Suzanne talks about what she is most grateful for
- [05:37] – How innovation stimulates learning for Suzanne and her team
- [08:03] – Suzanne discusses the challenges and excitement of her work
- [11:00] – How Suzanne’s entrepreneurial spirit has aided in her creative problem solving
- [13:49] – What inspired Suzanne to focus on executive presence
- [16:41] – The importance of engagement in leadership
- [18:40] – Why mobilized action is key to implementing leadership skills
- [20:12] – How character, substance and style impact presence
- [24:02] – Embracing resonance in executive presence
- [25:24] – Suzanne’s journalism background
- [28:58] – Suzanne recalls a formative moment from her journalism career
- [30:59] – The key transferable skills that led to Suzanne’s success in business
- [35:16] – The decision process that led Suzanne to leave the journalism field
- [36:48] – Suzanne shares the self-discovery she experienced when she decided to change careers
- [39:29] – Suzanne discusses writing her first book, Speak Like a CEO
- [44:48] – Suzanne shares tips to discover your brand as a CEO
- [47:57] – The power of self-awareness
- [50:54] – Suzanne identifies the most common challenges and issues facing her clients
- [54:16] – Why it is vital to embrace teamwork
- [55:50] – Other lessons and realizations Suzanne has learned through fostering a team
- [59:12] – Why Suzanne would not change a thing about her journey
- [1:00:40] – Two practices that Suzanne values above all others
- [1:01:24] – Parting words of advice from Suzanne
- [1:03:29] – Aviv provides steps to create your new future
Enjoying the Show?
Please comment below.
Share the podcast using the social links below.
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE TODAY and leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes.