Lead by Example with Monique Nolk – Episode 49
“Be yourself and enjoy what you’re doing because life is too short.”
Monique Nolk is the Vice President and Worldwide Head of Alliances at Hewlett Packard. She has extensive experience in shaping and negotiating complex deals, leading change and transformation initiatives, and connecting and influencing multiple functions and levels of an organization. In her previous role, she was the Vice President of Operations and merger and acquisition integrations at HP, where she led the integration of the $3B Aruba network acquisition.
In this episode, Monique reflects on her current role and breaks down the components of successful alliance and negotiation tactics, where working towards building mutually beneficial outcomes is of the utmost importance. Aviv and Monique discuss the nuances that must be balanced in order to achieve win-win scenarios for both parties involved. Monique shares the insights she has gained over the course of her career to a provide a detailed roadmap on how to arrive at these win-win scenarios. Her strategies include understanding the needs and objectives of those involved in the scenario, simplifying the complex, making the process personable and helping others to navigate through the scenario. Monique is a proponent of fact-based management, as it eliminates emotions that may potentially cloud judgement. Aviv and Monique also define leadership styles and philosophies that they believe are key to success. Finally, Monique offers the importance of treating people with compassion, regardless of culture, age or background.
Essential Learning Points:
- [01:04] – Introducing today’s guest, Monique Nolk
- [02:48] – Monique discusses what she enjoys most about her work
- [04:12] – Defining successful relationships
- [05:31] – How Monique creates win-win scenarios
- [08:02] – Monique describes working in a male-dominated field
- [10:58] – How Monique cultivated her keen observation and assessment skills
- [13:03] – The importance of facilitating others to articulate solutions rather than dictating solutions to them
- [14:31] – Monique’s early career aspirations
- [15:37] – Monique’s educational background
- [16:47] – Spending time abroad in China
- [18:08] – How Monique’s time in China shaped her world view and perspective
- [20:17] – Monique recalls how she found her sweet spot
- [21:54] – Cultivating a sense of humor, wit and a touch of sarcasm
- [23:15] – How Monique’s career evolved after relocating to Houston
- [25:30] – Monique shares how she embraces challenges and adversity and turns them into growth experiences
- [28:56] – Monique’s leadership style and philosophy
- [31:50] – Aviv and Monique discuss the polarizing impact of social media on society
- [35:54] – Monique speaks on her passion for travel
- [39:00] – The importance of compassion and humor
- [39:46] – Parting words of wisdom from Monique
- [40:59] – Aviv provides steps to create your new future
Enjoying the Show?
Please comment below.
Share the podcast using the social links below.
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE TODAY and leave a much-appreciated review in iTunes.